- World Food Program Overview
- IDD/USI Program Overview
- Nutritional Activities
The World Food Program (WFP) is running in 152 WFP outlets of 07 districts (Bhakkar, Khuhasb, Mianwali, D.G.Khan, Layyah, Muzaffargarh & Rajanpur) of Punjab with collaboration of UN/WFP.
WFP & Ministry of Health is running a program of supplementary feeding entitled "Promoting Safe Motherhood" for vulnerable group of population which includes pregnant women & lactating mothers. The Project consisted of supply of food commodity (V.Oil) in seven districts of Punjab.
- To increase the attendance of expectant & nursing mothers at the health centers so that they can obtain reproductive health care services.
- To promote specific vaccinations for mothers and infants.
- To promote beneficial practices through health education, including mothers nutrition, the use of trained birth attendants, breastfeeding, family planning & weaning practices.
The distribution of four tins of V.oil to each beneficiary through LHV is all time activity at the selected Health outlets to improve the antenatal, natal and postnatal care, Immunization of mother & child and health education.
- PC-I had approved (WFP Program) for years 2010-11.
- Refresher Trainings of EDO, DOH/Focal persons LHVs, S.Ks, LHS, MOs, and WMOs in WFP assisted Districts with coordination UN/WFP office Islamabad.
Iodine Deficiency is the World’s single most significant cause of Preventable brain damage and mental retardation. It causes Goiter, still birth, abortion & congenital abnormalities. Pakistan is also among those countries where IDD is a public health problem.
Universal Salt Iodization (USI) Program is running in the 35 districts of Punjab with coordination of Micronutrient Initiative & UNICEF.
Improve awareness about Iodine Deficiency Disorders & Universal Salt Iodization.
Improve the Utilization of Iodized Salt.
- Districts Focal Persons (DFPs) have been nominated at all districts.
- DFPs along with Food Inspectors & District Sanitary Inspectors (DSIs) trained to facilitate the salt processors at district level.
- Base line data completed & monthly progress data collected on regular basis.
- More than 700 salt processors have been trained in target districts with the assistance of MI.
- District IDDCC under the chairmanship of DCO has been formed.
- District level legislation on compulsory salt iodization at has been approved in 14 districts of Punjab.
- More than 210,000 MT of salt was iodized since January 09.
- More than 13 MT KIO3 was utilized Since January 09.
- Large Salt Processors like National foods and Shan foods convinced and converted on 100% salt iodization.
- PMDC has agreed to produce iodized salt only.
- Drip feeds have been installed at all salt processor enabling to produce iodized salt.
- Production of Iodized salt increased in target districts from baseline 14%(MI- 05) to 87%(Dec: 09).
- More than 24000 Rapid Test Kits have been distributed free of cost to District monitors and salt processors.
- 1600 Medical Officers, 1300 LHSs, 300 Sanitary Inspectors, 5829 teachers, 3835 retailers, 1152 religious leaders, 400 GPs/Hakeems, 600 Hotels/large consumers, and 1992 paramedics have been sensitized on IDD with coordination of UNICEF & MI.
- Refurbishment of 220 Salt Chakkies.
- Packaging support to 220 salt processors for strengthening the branding.
- Vit-A capsules are given to children of age 06 to 59 months with polio drops. 1552574 blue and 12948438 Red capsules have been administered during NID round in May 09.
- Out of 700 Flour Mills of Punjab, 87 are working with Iron Wheat Flour Fortification Program. Micro Feeders and premix are provided to mills by the program.
- Pilot Project on Micronutrient Malnutrition has been completed in four districts of Pakistan including Narowal district of Punjab with Provision of Sprinkles Strategy (Iodine, Iron, Zinc, Vit.A).
- Sensitization activities
- Orientation of School Health Nutrition Supervisors.
- Refresher Training of Food & Sanitary Inspectors.
- Refresher Training of District Focal Persons/DSIs.
- Refresher Training of MOs.
- Refresher Training of Salt processors.
- Training of Lab. Technicians.
- Sensitization to session for Nazims of the districts.
- Strengthening the monitoring of salt processors at district level.
- Introduction of Geographic Information System (GIS) for monitoring of District IDD/USI activities.
- District/Provincial IDD CC Meetings.
- Best District & Best Salt Processors Award.
- Lactation Management Trainings
57 trainings have given to 1618 participants of Punjab (115 Medical Officer/WMO, 252 LHS and 267 LHVs, 48 Nursing Instructors, and 673 Charge Nurses and 151 other paramedics etc) with coordination of MoH Nutrition Wing Islamabad.
- LInfant and Young Child Feeding Practices (IYCF)
20 Master Trainers and 175 Health Care Providers trained in three target districts. (Sheikhupura, Kasur and Nankana) with coordination of UNICEF.
- LCommunity Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM)
Community Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) technique was adopted for the treatment of malnutrition in flood effected areas of Rajanpur and D.G.Khan districts with coordination of UNICEF. Training of TOT regarding CMAM was conducted in this Directorate PC-I of Nutrition for CMAM has approved.
- School Health Education and Nutrition Program
Approximately 1600 School Health & Nutrition Supervisors have been recruited and trained in 22 districts while recruitment & training in 13 remaining districts is under process.
Program Manager (F&N Punjab)
24 Cooper Road, Lahore